- The primary goal of Student Identity Verification is to ensure the authenticity of students for registering a course or certification
- Student IDV in Distance Education is important for international students as it builds trust in online education. Universities. Colleges and other institutions should implement updated regulatory compliance standards.
Student Identity Verification: An OverviewAlmost every institution has KYC (Know Your Customer) and AML (Anti Money Laundering) compliance regulatory system. But its importance increases in distance education because of the threat of identity theft and terrorism. Therefore, the Verification of Student Identity in distance education is mandatory for international students.
What is Distance LearningAs the name suggests, Distance education is provided remotely to students who are not physically attending the institution. They use online means of taking lectures and notes and then appear in the online examinations. Especially, after the COVID-19 pandemic Distance Education became one of the most trending ways to educate students. In Distance Education, students enroll in international universities and colleges mostly for advanced education. From Registration to Enrollment and Attendance, all the Documentation is done online via a website, email, or other available channels. This facilitates the students as well as campuses to onboard as many students as they can manage remotely.
Benefits of Distance LearningThe top benefits of distance learning are listed below:
- Independent Location
- Cost Saving
- Access to the Emerging Technologies
- Broader educational spectrum
- Flexibility in learning and time
- Comfortable setting
- Wider learning scope
Why Student Identity Verification is conducted?With rising inflation and economic instability, students are falling back on cost-saving options for education. Institutions also realize the importance of paperless practices in education and have shifted to online learning. In this case, Student Identity Verification becomes necessary for students who are not physically present. Here are some of the main reasons for conducting Online Student Identity Verification.
- Fast & Secure Student Verification
- Error-Free Identification & Authentication
- Remote and Cost-saving Student Onboarding
- Online Student Profile Management
- Safety in Data Storage
Benefits of Student Identity Verification SolutionsFirstly, remote Student IDV solutions are an easy and fast way of student onboarding. It safeguards sensitive information about students and cuts-off the storage expenses by 60 to 85%. These IDV solutions are AI-based that increases the accuracy of authentication processes. The benefits of AI-Based Student IDV are numerous and include:
- Increased Security
- Enhanced Efficiency
- Improved User Experience
- Reduced Fraud and Risk
- Cost Saving
Requirements for Student Identity VerificationAt the City University of New York, highly value Distance and Correspondence Education. It has specified the Student IDV for international students and made it a secure and fast process. It stresses the use of AI technology for the entirety of the onboarding process. Following are the key areas on which CUNY is focused:
- Importance of Social Presence through Self-presentation and transactional interaction online
- Use of e-Portfolios
- Use of Student Photos, Videos in terms of self-introduction
- Online Participation in Learning Communities
- Groups and Teamwork
- Ensuring that Plagiarism-free work is submitted online
- Video Conferencing (Synchronous and Asynchronous)
- The purpose of this policy is to ensure compliance of Lebanon Valley College with HEOA (Higher Education Opportunity Act) US.
- All courses and programs must verify the student registering for that course or program.
- Multiple methods shall be used to verify the actual identity of the student including
- Individual’s Login ID and Password
- Effective technologies and practices in verifying student identity
- The policy also inculcates compliance standards for students where students need to comply with the password policy and verification of identity standards.
- Mainly, the responsibility for college-wide implementation of this policy rests with the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Student Privacy shall be maintained at all times as Lebanon Valley College complies with (FERPA) Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Final ThoughtsOverall, Student Identity Verification in Distance Education is mandatory for all institutions that offer distance learning. AI-based IDV has merged the identity verification procedures for students. These include biometric data, facial recognition, and other sophisticated technologies for the efficient authentication of students. Furthermore, KYC AML Guide can be a source of valid and updated information for institutions seeking eIDV services. Last but not the least, Student Identity Verification is necessary to mitigate financial crimes such as Money Laundering, Fraud, and Terrorism funding. It builds integrity and maintains the trust of students in online education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the website of your institution and find the Students section. In case, if you are a new student and wish to enroll, you can sign up or register following the set procedure and guidelines provided by your university. Mostly, Student Identity Verification is done in "My ID Section" of website.
Yes, Student ID requires proof of age as one of its requirements. But it is not enough as Institutions require a complete list of documents to verify your identity.
As explained in the article above, Student Identity Verification system is used to know whether or not a student is or was a legal and rightly deserved student at a particular institution.